Thank you to all those involved in making Rare Disease Day 2018 so successful!
Rare Disease Day has grown so much from the first edition, in 2008, when just 18 countries, mainly from Europe, participated. For 2018 patient groups, medical professionals and friends of Rare Disease Day hosted events in over 90 countries! This year the #ShowYourRare campaign was launched with thousands across the world painting their face to show their support for those living with rare diseases.
Rare Disease Day 2018 Official Video
- Starring all those involved with the rare disease cause: patients, doctors, researchers and relatives all showing their rare.
- Read the stories of the participants: Yara, Enzo, Annie, Antoine & Alexandre and Mirina.
- The video was translated into 35 different languages!
- Published across social media with hundreds of thousands of views on Facebook!
Rare Disease Day Events
- Events took place in every corner of the globe with patient groups and medical professionals hosting thousands of events worldwide!
- 5 new countries joined the movement this year: Togo, Ghana, Trinidad and Tobago, Cape Verde and The Syrian Arab Republic
- In 2018 there was a huge variety of events. There were sports events, awareness walks, and even flash mobs !
Social Media success
- Thousands of people painted their face to show support for those living with a rare disease for the #ShowYourRare social media campaign.
- The #RareDiseaseDay thunderclap reached 1 700 000 people.
- The video was viewed by over 350 000 people.
- #RareDiseaseDay trended on Twitter!
- Mentioned by athletes, bloggers, rock bands, and a former prime minister, Rare Disease Day 2018 was reported across the world, from Australia to South Africa. Read how Rare Disease Day 2018 was reported in local media, and internationally.
More information on the 11th edition of Rare Disease Day
Now, we want to hear about your events and experiences on Rare Disease Day!
Upload your photos and videos onto our website and send us your press clippings and links to videos if you had any media coverage for our media page!
If you haven't uploaded your 'Raise and Join Hands' photos you still have time.